“Grinding” rule brought to light for future Uni dances

At the annual handbook meeting, Assistant Director Karl Radnitzer decided to bring to light the no-grinding rule. In addition, Radnitzer sent an email to subbie parents that grinding was not permitted. In the meeting and the email, he stressed if anyone were to grind, they would be kicked out of the dance and parents would be notified.

Grinding is an inappropriate dance that involves close physical contact.

Although the rule has always existed, Radnitzer decided to bring it up again this year.

“I think it [the no grinding rule] kind of went by the wayside. Last year there were a couple incidents that were kind of tipping points for me, where I had to say… we just had to call it across the board, ” Radnitzer said.

In retrospect, Radnitzer thought he should have handled the rule differently.

“I think I came down a little bit on saying if you do it I’ll kick you out and call your parents, and that’s kind of punitive. I don’t know if I’ll call parents but I’ll definitely remove you from the dance floor and talk to you,” said Radnitzer.

The rule was mainly implemented by Radnitzer, who talked with Dr. Nuckolls and Dr. Walkington. The teachers, Radnitzer added, were supportive of the rule. There was no student input on the decision which Radnitzer thought he should have done differently.

“With school starting when it started and the Howdy Hop that Friday and the opportunity to talk to kids for the handbook, basically juniors and seniors I spoke with on Wednesday. I didn’t have much time, but in retrospect maybe I should have. I should have called some kids in,” said Radnitzer.

Radnitzer said the ultimate goal of the rule is for kids to enjoy dances, for dances to be a place where kids feel comfortable and respect their space and boundaries. He believes “there are situations where kids come up to other kids and start grinding and they don’t feel comfortable the ones receiving that and they’re afraid to say anything,” so in order to prevent that, he decided to impose the rule. The rule, he says, “puts people on ease, some people who are watching it at ease, and some people who feel pressured to do that type of dancing at ease.”

Students have varying opinions of the rule.

Senior Anna Troutt thought the rule was a lot more strict than what she had expected.

“I wasn’t really that surprised because every year they try to cut it out… But then when I got to the dance the whole dynamic was a lot different,” said Troutt. “I understand it can get out of hand at some points so I don’t think it’s a bad thing it’s just a lot different for students,” Troutt added.

Senior Jack Hsiao-Wecksler thought differently. “People are going to do it anyway, so it’s stupid that he’s trying to limit us,” said Hsiao-Wecksler.

In terms of the future, Radnitzer doesn’t think the rule will change. “I feel that it’s an inappropriate dance to have at a high school… If there were other dances that were inappropriate they will be taken into consideration… I just want people to respect people’s boundaries”.