Students rise to the occasion in Habitat bake-off

Back to Article
Back to Article

Sophomore Danbi Choi presents her chocolate caramel sundae cake. Choi won in the 'sweet' category at Habitat for Humanity's annual bake-off on February 11. Photo by Grace Juhn.

Nathalie Stein, Editor

On Monday, February 11, Uni’s Habitat for Humanity club hosted its annual fundraising bake-off in Uni gym. The event raised around $380 for Habitat’s affiliate in Clarksdale, Mississippi.

All students could enter their baked goods into the competition. Non-baking students explored, sampling the goods and voting for their favorite in three categories: most creative, best sweet, and best savory. The winners were chosen by a popular vote, announced later via email.

Entry to the event cost $5 for non-bakers and $3 for bakers. Participants received tokens, which they could trade for baked goods.

Subbie Mariam Vaid won ‘most creative’ for her pound cake tiramisu chocolate truffle. Sophomore Rani Ramrattan won in the savory category for her garlic knots, and sophomore Danbi Choi won in the sweet category for her chocolate caramel sundae cake. Each winner received a ladle for their efforts.

“I don’t know if I was more excited about the title or the dinosaur ladle prize,” Choi said. “But even though winning is great, I think I really just enjoy baking for other people.”