College questions answered at sophomore coffee talks

The sophomore coffee talks are meetings held by the SSO to help Uni sophomore parents better understand everything about applying to colleges. Students are not allowed to attend these meetings. The meetings act as a preparation for the coming junior year when college visits, college testing, and various other college application related events occur.

In the meetings, the counselors talk about what juniors should do to prepare for college, test preparation, college visits (well rounded list, not just top tier), current college trends, financial aid, and whatever questions the parents have.

These meetings occur before and after school. They are 1 hour and 15 minutes long. At these meetings, the counselors want the parents to feel as comfortable as possible so counselor Kristi Bandy said, “The reason we do so many of them is because we find that if there was 10 to 20 of them they still feel safe enough to ask their questions versus a large lecture hall where people don’t feel as comfortable asking those questions.” Packets are handed out to the parents with resources and information about dates.

Senior Tina Wayne said that the coffee talks did indeed help her mom with the college process. Junior Nicole Southey said the same thing as Wayne.

Schedule:

Wednesday, Nov. 28 8:10 – 9:30 am

Thursday, Nov. 29 8:10 – 9:30 am

Thursday, Nov. 29 3:15 – 4:30 pm

Monday, Dec. 3 8:10 – 9:30 am

Tuesday, Dec. 4 8:10 – 9:30 am

Tuesday, Dec. 4 3:15 – 4:30 pm